Call them focus walls or accent walls, a wall with a different colour of paint from the rest of the room can be a great look.
Some of the things your focus wall can do for you:
- Bring a colour from another room in to increase the harmony among the rooms of your house when you want to use different colours.
- Try out an eye-popping colour before committing to it completely. Do you really want pomegranete walls in that room? Find out with one wall first.
- Tame that eye-popping colour -- it can be completely different in a smaller dose from the effect it has on all four (or more) walls.
- Liven up a room without repainting the whole room. You can do this a couple of times if you like to redecorate more often than you really need to paint.
- Draw attention to one wall, either because it has the great architectural features you want to focus on or because your room doesn't have any architectural features to focus on.
- Create a special backdrop for a piece of art or furniture that calls out for special treatment.